It’s been over a year, but Chef Bill Taibe and his team from leFarm/Whelk are finally back with a new Souterrain!
As always, the evening began with a cocktail. This one was bourbon-based.
Details, details… Yes, I love slow-melting, giant ice cubes!
If you’re familiar with this underground dining event, you know part of the allure is the secret location. For Souterrain 5 , we were directed to the Westport Arts Center on the final night of the Foodies Exhibit. It was a pleasant surprise to find this charming photograph across the table. Other Souterrain experiences have ranged from Sport Hill Farm to the Lillian August showroom.
A few years ago, I made the rookie mistake of over-eating early on at a leFarm family meal. I was careful to pace myself.
Warm olive bread (I believe) from SoNo Baking Company.
Cornbread with maple drizzle
Ever since I ordered a duck breast with cherries at Relish in Sono I’ve been a devoted follower of Chef Taibe. Any time he’s serving duck, I’m ready to eat.
Our “bowl of beans.” Unfortunately for the vegetarian at our table, even this dish was was off-limits.
Chef Bill Taibe thinks of Souterrain as his “3rd restaurant” and it’s obvious how much he enjoys the break from the typical dinner service demands at leFarm and the Whelk.
More duck, this time a leg confit surrounded by acorn/delicata squash and brussels sprouts
A simple ending: root vegetable 3-layer cake.
Souterrain 5 – Novemember 4, 2012:
– Green olives, salt cold, duck fat
– White salad, Ewe blue
– Cornbread, local maple
– Duck ham, duck liver, huckleberries + onions
– Bowl of beans
– Duck leg confit, squash, brussels
– Root vegetable 3 layer cake
Details on Souterrain can be hard to come by, so here are a few items to note:
- Souterrain is usually held on a Sunday.
- The location is always a secret, but within a reasonable distance from Westport, Connecticut. The address is provided via email the day before the event.
- The menu is set by the chef. If you’re a picky eater, vegetarian or have lots of dietary restrictions, this is probably not the event for you.
- Price $160, including tax and tip. Also included: a cocktail on arrival and red/white wine served with the meal.
- There’s only one way to get a seat at Souterrain: Request to join the mailing list at: email@example.com and provide an email address that you monitor all the time. These meals typically sell out in 10 minutes or less. If you’re not quick enough on the reply, you can always ask to be added to the wait-list in case of cancellations.
Good luck getting a seat at the next event!
Let me know if you have any other Souterrain questions or you can view more of my photos:
Souterrain 1 Rowayton, private residence
Souterrain 4: Part 1 Easton, Sport Hill Farm
Souterrain 4: Part 2
Twilight at Morningside
Hi Carrie, My apologies. It’s updated now. The correct email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org Hope you are able to get a seat at the next Souterrain!
love your blog. i tried a few times to email the address for the next souterrain……and it keeps bouncing…….is it correct? thanks!